Matthew Edney, Osher Professor in the History of Cartography, will visit the Camden Public Library during History Month to talk about John Smith’s 1637 Map of New England and the Osher Map Library. The Map Library is an extraordinary resource and collection of historical maps. As an integral part of the University of Maine System, the Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education [OML] is committed to preserving the cartographic heritage of the state, region, and nation. It shares its collections through exhibitions and through collaborative efforts with other cultural institutions. The Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education [OML] is located on the Portland campus of the University of Southern Maine and occupies a three-story building at the corner of Forest Avenue and Bedford Street.
The John Smith map was published in England in 1637 and is entitled, “New England the most remarqueable parts thus named. by the high and mighty Prince Charles, nowe King of great Britaine.” Below the compass rose the map is inscribed, “He that desyres to know more of the Estate of new England lett him read a new Book of the prospecte of new England & ther he shall have Satisfaction.” The bust of John Smith has an inscription underneath: “These are the Lines that shew thy Face; but those that shew thy Grace and Glory, brighter bee.”